Business working with community
Business Working with Wythenshawe (BW3)
A vibrant business membership with many individuals who volunteer their time to further BW3’s mission of supporting the economic regeneration of Wythenshawe.
BW3 works with schools to help young people acquire additional skills and confidence to go on to further education or the world of work. Current projects include:
- Numbers at Work – a workshop style activity delivered to Year 6 primary school children – to reinforce numeracy learning with practical experience of how maths is used in different work environments.
- Aspirational Mentoring – sixth form and college students are partnered with business mentors who help them to reach their potential. Mentoring makes a difference to the young person’s outcomes once they leave their further education and also helps to develop personal and professional skills for the volunteer.
- School of the Year – an initiative to enable one primary school per year to receive additional support from businesses to achieve certain aims designed to improve and enhance opportunities for pupils and their families.
- Wythenshawe Business Gateway - A bi-monthly business networking event organised by BW3, which regularly attracts 80-100 local and Manchester based businesses.
Other corporate responsibility opportunities
- Code Clubs are free volunteer-led after-school coding clubs for children aged 9-11. Clubs running in Wythenshawe – Brooklands Library, Manchester Enterprise Academy, Newall Green High School, and St Elizabeth’s Primary School.
- Manchester Employer Suite provides a free recruitment service for businesses wishing to employ Manchester residents.
- Mosaic Mentor Programme creates opportunities for young people to be supported in reaching their potential. Volunteer mentors work with the young people to increase their confidence, self-efficacy and long-term employability.
- School governor opportunities. Business involvement is welcome in primary and high schools to help schools to manage their provision of the best education that they can.
- STEM Ambassadors is a programme run by STEMNET (Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics Network) providing volunteers to promote STEM subjects to young learners in a range of original, creative, practical & engaging ways. An invaluable and free resource for teachers, helping to deliver the STEM curriculum and raise awareness of STEM careers.